Sunday, August 31, 2008

This is Alabama Football ...

Well, not quite since we weren't in Tuscaloosa. But, a Clemson butt-whoopin' was a nice way to start the season and Will and I had a nice parents' weekend out in the ATL. We dropped the kids off at my parents' house early Saturday morning and headed to Atlanta where we checked into our hotel and then grabbed lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. We got a super-great deal at the Doubletree Suites in Marietta, where we were greeted with a warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in. We booked our room through Hilton's website and got a deal because we booked a non-refundable room. I think we paid $80 for our room and it was super-nice (see photos below). After lunch, we headed downtown to the Georgia dome via Marta (Atlanta's public transportation). Even more than 4 hours before the game, we were packed like sardines on the train. Once we got there, we met up with some friends at the CNN center where we hung out until game time. I have to say, after spending many a Labor Day weekends in Tuscaloosa for the first game of the season, where it is sooooo HOT, it was nice to be in the air-conditioned dome for the game. When we were assured a Bama victory with 7 minutes to go in the game and a 21 point lead, I convinced my husband to head back to the hotel since the clock was quickly approaching midnight. So, we packed back onto the Marta train and headed home. Let me just say that the Clemson fans we saw after the game were the most gracious losers. We rode the train home with mostly Clemson fans since they were really the only ones leaving the game. We were in quite the minority to say the least and if I had been packed on the train with a bunch of UT or Auburn fans, I don't think I would have felt quite as safe.

Here is my funny story of the trip. We got into the stadium about an hour before the game started and decided to go ahead and get something to eat before the game started. We stood in line for about 20 minutes and finally got our 2 orders of chicken tenders and fries. As we were walking back to our seats, I stepped in a very large spill of beer on the floor and BUSTED! Will was walking right behind me and said I fell hard. I mean, my feet just slipped right out from under me and I landed on my butt. I was a little sore and bruised the following day, but fortunately, I did not have any major injuries. I did however, loose my chicken tender meal (to the tune of $8) and smelled like beer for the rest of the game. Honestly, I was more upset about the food than anything else.

We finished off the weekend with breakfast a Cracker Barrel and a stop at the Georgia outlet mall on the way home. The kiddos survived the weekend with Meme and Poppy despite the fact that Claire came home with a black eye (see photo below) and David apparently spent the night on the dog bed in my parents' room. (It made a good pallet according to my mom. Hope that the dog didn't mind giving up her bed to the baby for a night!)

A photos of Claire's "boo-boo" under her right eye. She ran into the corner of my parents' kitchen table. I am surprised she did not make me put a band-aid on it. She is all about band-aids right now. I think she thinks they are stickers. She is also very attached to the masking tape name tag they put on her back in the nursery at church and wants to wear it all day long.

No comments: