Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday

I love to cook, but I rarely find the time to do anything creative in the kitchen. I typically make a few standards that Will probably gets tired of eating, but we eat nonetheless. You know, those recipes that you can make without the recipe and you have the ingredients memorized so you can swing by the store on the way home.

Well, to force myself to spend a little more time in the kitchen and to use one of my gifts to serve others, I joined our church's food ministry about a year ago. I am on a cooking team and we cook meals for 5-10 families every five weeks. The GOOD thing about this is that I typically cook for a different family with each rotation and I can use the same recipes over and over again. The GREAT thing about this is that I can bring a little joy and happiness into the life of someone who is sick, hurting or homebound. I have really been blessed by being a part of this ministry, despite the fact that sometimes, I just don't have the time and energy to do it.

I have to take a meal to an elderly home-bound couple tomorrow and here are a couple of my favorite recipes that I wanted to share. Both came from girls in my bible study group. They are quick, easy and YUMMY.

Crockpot Beef and Noodles (from Jadie)
1-1/2 lbs. beef stew
1 can french onion soup
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can golden mushroom soup
8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
Combine ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve over hot, buttered noodles.

Orange Juice Cake (This cake is yummy and since it has orange juice, you can eat it for breakfast, right? This cake is even better when your neighbor makes it and leaves you some on your front porch. Thanks Beth!)
1 box regular vanilla pudding
1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2c. vegetable oil
1c. orange juice
Spray bundt or 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Heat on stove until boiling: 1 stick butter, 1c. sugar and 1/4c. orange juice. Boil for 2 minutes. Pour over cake while still in pan and let soak for at least 45 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cake sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try after I get back from Houston.