Tuesday, April 28, 2009

American Idol, Top 5

Tonight’s theme: music of the Rat Pack.

Let me just say, if I was giving out prizes for "Best Celebrity Mentor", Jaime Foxx would win HANDS DOWN. He was great!

And, too bad Anoop got send home last week because I really think this genre would have suited him well. Nonetheless, this is definitely the best top 5 EVER.

Kris Allen - “The Way You Look Tonight”: He's just such a cutie pie, you have to love everything he does. And, this is one of my favorite "rat pack" songs. (Will and I danced to this song at our wedding.) This was not the most memorable performance of the night, but it was strong.

Allison Iraheta - “Someone To Watch Over Me”: This was probably one of my favorite Allison performances. First of all, she looked beautiful ... very age appropriate too. Second of all, I liked hearing her sing something that was not so "rock", but still had a little "edge" to it. Well done Allison.

Matt Giraud - “My Funny Valentine”: Y'all know I love Matt, but I was not really sure about his performance when he first started out. It turned out much better than I expected. It was not a perfect performance by any means, but it was good and it was Matt ... and that's what we love, right?

Danny Gokey - “Come Rain or Come Shine”: I was a little bored at the beginning of this performance, but he definitely "worked it out" in the words of Randy Jackson. This was my favorite performance of the night by a landslide. He seems like such a genuinely nice guy you just gotta love him.

Adam Lambert - “It’s A New Day”: Technically, this was a good performance, but I just wasn't digging it tonight. It was a little shrieky for me. As Simon pointed out, he is definitely in it to win it, which you have to respect at this point in the competition.

No one except Danny really blew my socks off tonight, but no one really stood out as the person who clearly deserved to go home either. From past voting results, I am guessing Allison or Matt will be going home tomorrow night.

I'm off to bed ... go here for more commentary.

1 comment:

Kritter Krit said...

I agree with you. I think Allison or Matt will go home. Although I don't think it's right, based on last night's performances, anyway.

Sometimes I think AI is rigged. Well, maybe not “rigged” exactly, but I definitely think Simon has an agenda. I mean, he’ll say something negative about a performance (even if it was flawless - even if I think HE THINKS it was flawless) just to try to sway the voters. Take Allison for example. She was perfection last night. Looked great, sounded amazing…perfect, in fact. Absolutely beautiful voice. What’s to complain about? Enter Simon, who claims she “doesn’t care about winning”. Ha! I think the man fancies himself a Puppeteer. Ooo ah ah… Pull the strings and watch America dance to my commands.

It really irks me sometimes.

Hmm. Perhaps I’m a tad too emotionally invested in this stinkin’ show.