Sunday, July 12, 2009

For your reading enjoyment ...

What? No pictures? I love to read. I used to read a TON. That, of course, was B.K. (before kids). I had my nose in a book all the time.

Now, I barely manage to finish one book for my monthly book club group. Much less read anything extra.

Here is my reading list for the first half of 2009.

"New Moon", "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" by Stephanie Meyer. Books 2-4 of the Twilight series. The first book, "Twilight", was probably still my favorite of the four. You definitely need to read the entire series though.

"Marley and Me" by John Grogan. This was our book club book for January. It was good, but I got busy and never finished it. I figure I can always watch the movie, even though I heard it is a little different from the book.

"The Shack" by William P. Young. This was our book club book for February. I think every one should read this book. It didn't "change my life" as many people say it did for them, but it did make me think about the holy trinity from a completely different perspective and re-evaluate my relationship with Christ.

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. This was our book club book for March. Only 3 people read it. Myself not included. I read about half of it. It was good, but I didn't finish it before our book club meeting and it got laid aside so I could finish other books.

"Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos. This was our book club book for April. I finished this book on the plane trip home from Vegas. Its about finding love in a very unusual way ... the love of a child and the love of a friend.

"What Remains" by Carole Radziwill. This was our book club book for June. I finished this book on the plane out to Vegas. If you like reading gossip magazines, this book is for you! It is filled with an inside look into the life of the Kennedy's-specifically the JFK, Jr. and Caroline generation. It is written by the wife of JFK, Jr.'s cousin, who is the child of Jackie Kennedy's sister, Lee (who married a European prince). It chronicles their short marriage, her husband's battle with cancer and the plane crash that took the lives of JFK, Jr. and his wife.

"Blood of Flowers" by Anita Amirrezvani. This was our book club book for May. I missed book club this month. This book is still in progress. It is about the life of a young Iranian girl who becomes a rug maker. It is supposed to be very similar to "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid Hosseini, which I LOVED.

"The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs. This is our book club for July. It's an easy read so far (about halfway finished now), but its about a group of ladies who meet every Friday night at a local yarn shop in NYC to knit. As you suspect when a group of women get together, there is a lot more than knitting going on at these weekly gatherings!

1 comment:

phillips phamily said...

I need to borrow those vampire books from you!

I read Marley and Me. Much better than the movie!

I started The Shack, but I didn't like it that much. The only thing I can say is that it can start a dialogue about God.

I LOVED A Prayer for Owen Meany! Something about that little boy tugged at my heart.

I haven't heard of the others, but I like to see what "real people" are reading vs. what I used to read (school books).


We haven't figured out if we are going to come up the last weekend this month or not. I'll let you know as soon as we get organized and decide!