Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's a Quilt Along


I have been wanting to make a quilt for a while. I love picking out fabric pairings, planning, etc., so this type of project is right up my alley. One of my favorite sewing bloggers, Elizabeth, makes the most beautiful quilts. She is young and hip and sews a lot for her young nieces and nephews. She is hosting a quilt-along over the next several weeks, so I thought it was time to get started on a quilt. It's almost like taking a class, but you can sew on your own time. So, far, I have kept up with everything ... so far.

Here is the quilt pattern I will be making (front and back).



I have selected my fabric and pairings.


I have cut all of my fabric for the quilt squares (and organized ... my favorite part of course). I have to say, so far, the cutting has been the hardest thing. It took me the course of an entire day to cut all my blocks. Of course, I was interrupted frequently by my kiddos, so total uninterrupted time, it probably would have taken about 4 hours.



Here are my first 6 blocks. The quilt has a total of 36 blocks (6 of each different block).



Here is the second pairing of blocks. So far, the sewing has been quick and easy, but I have a feeling it will get more complex as I get to the more detailed blocks.



So far, so good. I have completed all of the instructions posted so far. I'm sure, I will get behind next week when I have to go back to work at the beginning of the week, but now that everything is cut, I can sit down at my machine when I have a spare moment and sew some scraps!

1 comment:

heather said...

Love the colors. It looks great!!