Monday, July 27, 2009

Menu Plan Monday: July 27-August 2



Another good week of sticking to the menu plan. First, a quick recipe review from last week. The simple enchiladas were good, but I would suggest adding a package of taco seasoning to the ground beef before you stuff the enchiladas. It needed a little more flavor. Also, the bacon and spinach quiche has A LOT of spinach. I loved it, but my husband who can only eat spinach is very small doses was not a huge fan. I would also suggest placing the pie pan on a cookie sheet to bake just in case a little egg spills over the edge.


In addition to menu-planning, I have also started doing a little couponing to help keep the grocery budget a little lower. I'm not going crazy or anything like driving around to 5 different grocery stores to get pop-tarts for a penny, but I have been watching for sales and coupons on items we use regularly and trying to stockpile those things a little bit. I found this awesome website that lists the weekly sales for local grocery stores and matches them with coupons in the local Sunday paper (and provides links to online coupons that you can print). This week was my first attempt to do a little stockpiling and I only went to the grocery store where I regularly shop, although I was tempted to stop at Harris Teeter too since they were having "super doubles" (doubling coupons up to $1.98).

Here are my sale/coupon results for this week:

Total groceries: $71.63

Total savings: $42.42 (59% savings)

Total out-of-pocket: $29.21

Monday: Leftovers for Will and the kids (I have dinner at my book club meeting).

Tuesday-Friday: out of town

Saturday: dinner out with Will's golf tourney buddies and their spouses.

Sunday: (brunch) Blueberry Sizzle french toast, bacon

Sunday: (dinner) Grilled Fish Tacos, rice pilaf

Check out other menu plans here.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I love fish tacos!!!! I especially love them with a squeeze of lime :)