Sunday, September 13, 2009

A is for Apple

I picked up a couple of books about APPLES for Claire on our last trip to the library. She is learning about APPLES this month at school. We have lots of APPLE art on our fridge.


This was a cute book and apparently Apple Farmer Annie is quite the cook. There were several recipes (with apples of course) incorporated into the story. I told Claire that we would make something with APPLES while David napped on Saturday afternoon. She did not let me forget!

We decided to make Applesauce Cake because ... I like cake and I had all the ingredients. The book also had recipes for Applesauce and Apple Muffins.


Claire is looking at the pictures to tell me what we need. A bowl, a spoon and APPLES of course!


Supervising the mixer.


Sifting the flour. (This is my great Aunt Flora's sifter and one of David's favorite toys.)


Stirring the batter ... two spatulas are better than one.



All done. This really was a good cake. David ate a whole piece for his snack. Claire wouldn't touch it. She ate the cake batter and thought it was good, but didn't want anything to do with eating the baked cake. Go figure ... that means more for me! And yes, my counters really are that messy. The kitchen island seems to be the collecting point for all the junk that comes in and out of our house. Next time, I will tidy up before I take a picture!


Applesauce Cake

1/2c. butter
1c. sugar
2 eggs
1-1/4c. flour
1/2t. baking soda
1/2t. salt
1t. cinnamon
1/2t. nutmeg
1/2t. allspice
1c. applesauce
2/3c. raisins (optional)
Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and spices. Add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce. Stir in raisins. {Claire vetoed the raisins} Pour batter into 9-inch greased tube pan. Bake at 375* for 45 minutes or until browned. Cool; spread with butter frosting (2T. softened butter, 2c. confectioners' sugar, 1t. vanilla and 3T. milk: cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add milk and stir well. Frosting should be smooth and easy to spread.)

No comments: