Monday, March 14, 2011

St. Patrick's Day crafts

We have been very crafty over the weekend and the kids have loved it. Here are some fun, quick and easy St. Patrick's Day crafts and treats.

(1) Mosiac rainbows.
This is a good way for me to get rid of all of my scrapbook paper scraps that I save and rarely ever use. I drew a rainbow pattern on a piece of cardstock, put some glue on each row and let the kids get busy.


So proud of her finished product. David (age almost 3) needed just a little help on this project, but Claire (age almost 5) did it all by herself.



(2) Shamrock garland.
My kids love to paint and I hardly ever let them because it is so messy, but this time I caved. These are made from coffee filters painted with shades of green watercolors. After the paint dried, we added some glitter glue and then I traced and cut out shamrocks from the painted filters. I stapled them to a string and ... voila. A lovely garland to go on the window over my kitchen sink.



(3) Mosiac shamrocks.


Another good paper scrap-buster project. I found a shamrock coloring page online, printed it out and let the kids get busy with green paper scraps and glue. After the glue dried, I cut out the shamrock and glued it to a sold piece of paper.

(4) Sponge-painted shamrocks.

I know. The green crafts are getting a little out of control. But I promise this is my last one.



David needed a little help with this one, but Claire did it no problem once I showed her how it was done. I cut a heart shape out of a sponge, squirted some green glue on a paper plate and stamped three hearts together to make the shamrock. I drew them stem with a green marker.

We also sang a little song that I found here to help the kids learn about the Holy Trinity. (Did you know that St. Patrick used the shamrock to teach people about the trinity ... God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, three in one.) The kids loved it and I actually felt like I taught them something.

(5) Rainbow rice crispy treats.

This was my favorite activity ... and we made it out with only a few minor burns where the kids touched the hot pan. Oops! Nothing some cold water and a band-aid won't fix.

Here are the instructions. Separate bag of colored marshmallows into four separate bowls. (I took this picture after I had already used the orange marshmallows.) The marshmallow sorting kept the kids busy for about 10-15 minutes while I unloaded the dishwasher ... and it helped them work on color matching ... something we are really working on with David right now.



For each color layer, used 1T. butter, 1 bowl of marshmallows (a little over 1 cup) and 1-1/2c. rice krispies. Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat and stir in cereal. Layer in greased 8x8 baking dish (pack firmly). Repeat for remaining three colors.

The kids hard at work (before the burned fingers). I'm not real sure what David is doing other than being silly!

The finished product.


You can see the layers better here ...


... and here.


Yummy! Claire ate about 3 bites of this and decided that she didn't like how the green ones tasted. (These marshmallows are fruit flavored.) I was happy to finish it off for her!

I really want to make these rainbow cupcakes, but I am just not sure I have the energy! I'll be sure to take pictures if I do.
Oh yeah ... most of my craft ideas came from this great website (with a little modification).

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: