Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 Book List: Part II (June-December)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This book was recommended to me by many.  It was excellent.  A World War II story from the perspective of a German child who learned to read during the war and shared that love of books with a young Jewish man who was hiding in her family's basement.

The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips
Come In and Cover Me by Gin Phillips

Both of these books were inspired by a recommendation from my high school English teacher.  I'll let you read her review.  (It's way better than anything I could ever write.)  I was able to get both books from the library and liked them both very much.  The Well and the Mine was a quick read.  It took me about 100 pages to get into Come In and Cover Me, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

A bestseller and probably the most page-turning book I read this year.  I couldn't put it down.  I even read it on my phone at my nephew's birthday party when I was close to the end because I couldn't wait to find out the ending.  You may not like the ending (I really didn't care for how it ended) but it is a thriller nonetheless.  I've heard they are making a movie and Reese Witherspoon plays Amy (the wife).  Can't wait to see that!

Circle Maker by Mark Batterson

We read this in our LifeGroup at church and it was really good.  It will really change the way you think about prayer and change the way you pray. 

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Art Stein

This book was interesting and narrated by a dog!  For those of us who grew up with family pets, it was interesting to see the narrator's loyalty to his owner and insight into the lives of those around him.  And this sad story ended on a happy note so that was good.

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik
This was a book club pick that I previously read in 2004.  I loved this book when I read it the first time, so I decided to read it again before my book club meeting since I didn't remember many specifics about the story.  I'm so glad I did!  It was just as good the second time and I had forgotten a lot!!  (Think Desperate Housewives without all the unrealistic drama!)

No comments: