Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday?

*****************************************************************************
UPDATE: The second recipe needs a little tweaking!! I cooked this last night and it was tasty, but certainly not my favorite. I would suggest using 1/2 the amount of sausage or double the amount of tortellini. Also, you must remove the sausage from its casing before you can crumble it. {This was my first time to cook with Italian sausage.} One last tip: after I added the tomatoes, half-and-half and tortellini, I covered the pan and cooked for 10 minutes. This will keep the steam in so the pasta will cook.
*****************************************************************************
This week, you get 2 recipes!

The first one is a yummy pork recipe I made in the crockpot last week. Will is not a big pork fan, but I am, so I have to find creative ways to cook it. This one was a winner. Even Claire ate it up.

The next recipe is a new recipe that I am trying for dinner tonight. It looks yummy. If it doesn't turn out to be good, I'll let you know.

Crockpot Pork Chops & Rice
sliced pork chops (x6) (I used boneless)
3/4c. flour
1t. each of salt and pepper
1-1/2t. dry mustard
3T. oil
2 cans chicken and wild rice soup (Campbells)
1 can cream of chicken soup
Rice
Combine flour, salt, pepper and dry mustard in a large ziploc bag. Shake each piece of pork in mixture. Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat and sear pork chops on each side until browned. Place in crockpot. Combine soups; pour over pork chops. Cook on low all day. Serve pork chops and gravy over rice. Serves: 4-6.

Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Bowl
1 pkg. Italian sausage
1/2c. chopped onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
15oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
8oz. half-and-half
1/2t. red pepper flakes
9oz. pkg. cheese tortellini
In large saucepan, break-up and brown sausage with onion, garlic and red bell peppers; drain. Add half-and-half, tomatoes, red pepper flakes and tortellini to skillet with meat mixture. Heat thoroughly. Serve with garlic toast. Serves: 3-4.

1 comment:

the Wilbecks said...

just an FYI - Kroger in G.H. has italian sausage that's not in casings; it's bought just like ground beef on one of those styrofoam boat things. It's in front of the seafood case - wierd spot...